Saturday, December 11, 2010

05.31.10



"I am a mole, sticking his head above the surface of the Earth..." – The Mountain Goats; 'Mole'


It has been a few weeks since last I wrote about my China trip. I have been very busy since that time, what with navigating the Middle Kingdom's interesting train schedules from Hong Kong (HK) to Shanghai, the intensely rapid study of Mandarin at Shanghai University, and the general party and outings any traveler is wont to do.
Because of the time elapsed, I will only breeze over the last couple weeks, otherwise (as I usually do) I will mire myself in wanton and sticky details, stuffs that are totally uninteresting, I will assure you.

Firstly, I arrived at Shanghai U. late; I missed the earlier train from HK to PVG (Shanghai's airport abbreviation that I am using here incorrectly). The international campus, as there is a much larger campus elsewhere and only accessible by train and then bus, is very nicely laid out with a number of trees and amicable looking, red-brick buildings. There is a large yard in the center of a giant circular drive – very modern looking, I guess.

At any rate, every morning, I wake up from my quant little single dorm room at 7am. I usually do morning stuffs and then am off and out the South Gate (very close) and across the street to a little bakery. The Chinese (at least Shanghai-ese) are all about some pastries. Once I have procured a red-bean bread thing and a "latte" of sorts, I brave the crazy Shanghai street and am up and back towards the classroom building by 8am...or 8:05am.

Class exists between the hours of 8am and 12pm and is divided into 4 sections. My classmates are very nice and have become fairly friendly to me. I am closer to this half of our overall group. That is, there are 6 of us (counting myself) who make up the beginner's Chinese class. The other half of Americans are amicable enough, but I am not as close to them for obvious reasons.
Our group has gone on a number of outings, in various combinations of people, this person and that, and usually numbering pairs or quadruplets, out and about Shanghai. This past weekend, we (and our teacher Luo LaoShi "Dr. Luo") traveled by bus to HuangShan "Yellow Mountain". The trip was pretty sweet. Though, I won't lie to you, I had a hang over that felt more like a Yellow Mountain had nimbly fallen into my forehead (whatever that means.)

I have a feeling this People's BLOG does not yet convey the random happenings and drama that certainly has occurred, and I am sure, will continue to occur. My meaning? My engagement with any new group of people usually begins by my testing of the waters. I accomplish this ardent task by asking two questions: how far can I push these people…So I want to find out the limits I may have to keep in mind when dealing with each one. Secondly, who will I immediately not get along with...ever?

As it happened, the first week, I felt as if two people might not hate me irrevocably; my friend Ernest (the black Chinese man) and Dr. Luo. Of course, all that has now changed. There are a few people who would get on my nerves if I were to linger about them too often, but for the most part, I enjoy being around any, and any number, of the group. They have also seemed to warm up to my awkward manner.

I am a bit uncertain about the next few weeks. Actually, I should clarify. Until this program is over with, June 11th, my mind is fairly calm. Afterwards, however, I do not know what I am going to do. I need to be in Ji'an for my art documentary internship by July 1st or so. Until that time, I do not know if I will be hanging out in PVG or traveling about China. I have enough money, but I do not want to push my limits with 3 months left of my pseudo-sabbatical.
There is a chance I will visit Beijing with a couple of this American group. There is also a chance I will visit Xi'an with Hooper, an old friend, or possibly a girl from the program named Ashley. Who knows? I am unsure whether I will be staying at Shanghai U. dorms or a hostel somewhere in the city. I am sure I will figure it all out when the time comes. Though, I certainly realize the proverbial shit could hit the fan without warning.

I hope I can eventually be unafraid of change and the unknown. Before my Vietnam trip, I remember telling Mom, who had selflessly driven me to the airport at the wee hour of 4am, that I was scared shitless. At the time, she put on her game face to give me confidence. She asked me if I really wanted to go and received my incredulous answer, "Well, yeah!"

The same occurred just-prior to this trip. In fact, we had the same conversation, exactly. Of course, we both laughed maniacally at the coincidence (I get it from my Mom, the weirdness that is.) I could not find sleep the night before my trip. I could tell that I was both unnerved and my soul was not centered. It was that shadow that scared me – he is the knowledge of no returns and of the possibility of great loss. My Mom did not respond in kind this go around. She simply said (after the evil laugh we both shared), "You said that last time, you'll be fine, honey." I knew she was right. I also knew that my childlike soul simply wanted my mother's reassurance. For all the harsh and arrogant words I deal out like a wood chipper, I am spineless and jelly at my worst. Then again, I am sitting in Shanghai as I type this People's blog, 10,000+ miles from the safe haunts of home. When you are on the rope, fear is not your friend – might as well put him out of your mind and push forward without.

As always, I am off to study and find food. I believe the group is going to venture off to the EXPO this Wednesday evening. I am excited. I do not like tourists or tourism, but there are a number of items I must take care of before leaving China. My meaning? I must swallow my pride and be a tourist for a little while. :}

No comments:

Post a Comment